It's a real pleasure to stay in a home rather than a hotel. Instead of being a tourist, you discover a way of life. We named our maisons for their simple, charming villages Châteauneuf-du-Pape and Venasque both just a short drive from the lively city of Avignon.
The villages are reminiscent of years gone by murmuring fountains, narrow, picturesque streets lined with stone houses, colorful flower boxes at every window. You'll see the occasional beret, clusters of locals sharing the latest gossip, or a boules tournament underway in the town square. Each village is surrounded by vineyards, rugged hills and high plateaus. Mt. Ventoux towers in the distance.
Here's what to expect*
- Ancient, restored stone homes with whitewashed walls and tile floors
- Simple, tasteful décor colorful provençal fabrics, antiques and brocante culled from local markets and antique stalls
- Comfortable, premium-quality beds pillows, sheets, duvets and towels
- Modern conveniences food processor, espresso/coffee maker, cookware, corkscrew, wine glasses, garlic press – all very important! – local cookbooks, provençal linens, hairdryer with European plug, iron, ironing board
- European bathrooms with WC separate from bath/shower – not quite as luxe as those in America, but clean and adequate
- Guidebooks a fine collection that seems to grow with every visitor
- Local caretakers — on call to help you if needed
- Music portable CD/tape player, with a selection of mostly classical discs
- Phone, internet access, and printer
- Our personalized guide book tips on provençal living, favorite restaurants and day trips, wine tasting notes, and more
* Not all amenities cited here are available at Other French Homes. See home details for specifics.